To be a respected and valuable member of your facilities team, you need to know the latest technologies and trends in the maintenance field. You must be able to effectively manage energy-efficient, nvironmentally-sound, and cost-effective building systems. The SMT® and SMA® designations will give you the skills you need if you:
What You Will Learn:
- Have direct responsibility for major building systems, including heating, refrigeration, air handling, plumbing, and electrical controls.
- Serve on an engineering/maintenance team in any type of commercial building, including universities, schools, hospitals, and government offices.
- Work day-to-day with building service contractors.
- Want a deeper understanding of how building systems affect overall company operations.
- Want to ensure that your building's systems are running at peak efficiency.
The following courses detail specific operating systems and make up the SMT® program:
- Career-building skills that help you gain recognition as an integral part of your facilities team
- How to increase the operating effectiveness of your building
- How to manage and maintain energy-efficient, environmentally sound, and cost-effective building systems
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems, including additional courses in administration, environmental issues, and building design and maintenance
Added to the five above, the following three courses will earn you the SMA® designation:
- Boilers, Heating Systems and Applied Mathematics
- Refrigeration Systems and Accessories
- Air Handling, Water Treatment, and Plumbing Systems
- Electrical Systems and Illumination
- Energy Management and Controls
- Building Design and Maintenance
- Environmental Health and Safety Issues
Honesty and integrity are important elements of a SMT's or SMA's reputation. The Institute promotes this goal by requiring that all designees abide by a strict Code of Professional Ethics and Conduct.
Continuing Professional Development
To maintain active status of the SMA® designation, 18 points of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credit must be earned every three years.
For further information please visit the BOMI on-line learning website at: http://www.bomiproducts.org/ecampus-online-learning.aspx?dc=000653